Sunday, May 07, 2006

Autumn In Oz

Well, I don't remember reading this in the brochure, but apparently, it can get cold and rain in Oz sometimes. Unbelievable. When I say cold of course, I mean it's recently dropped below 20C and the rain amounts to about as wet as you'd get walking through a sprinkler, but all the same... bit of a shocker! I've even started to wear a jacket on my way to work. Nightmare.

Our part of town is quite a leafy suburb and the trees have started turning all the colours of autumn. I'll try and get round to taking some pics if I remember, but the place looks pretty stunning at times - especially in the evening sunshine. I cleared the path to our house (once) and won't be doing it again for a bit as the leaves were covering the place up as fast as I could sweep 'em. My gardening skills also extended as far as watering the back lawn... an hour before it chucked it down. Green fingered me.


Speaking of a bit of the rain, here's a couple of pics of young Mr.D in his rather fetching blue mac at the fair on Anzac day. I can only say it was a bit like having your very own little blue penguin follow you around. Very funny to watch and as usual the young fella made quite a few friends...

He also took a keen interest in the fire truck and loved sitting in the driving seat. Lots of lights and switches to play with but I just managed to grab him just before he let the handbrake off though. Phew.

What else have we been doing? Bought some cutlery. Feeling very posh now we're not eating with plastic forks (The plates are still plastic mind). We're also plugged into broadband which has been a big boost as we can now manage all the boring things like bills etc. more easily and can also check out the local info on things to do and places to go.

Dylan is off to daycare for a few hours this week, just so he (and mum) can get used to it. He starts properly the following week and I'm sure it'll be good for him. Surprising words Dylan can now day include Turtle, Moon, Star, Sore (as in a "Niles Crane" injury to his finger) and he can also hoot like an owl on demand and wave his arm like an elephants trunk. Wicked :-)

Other stuff happening includes us thinking about taking a long weekend up in the Hunter Valley at the end of May. We'll probably try and find a nice cabin or cottage to rent with a log fire and purchase some of the local produce for sampling in the evening. Nothing too hectic you understand.

We've also signed up to get our names down for tickets to see the next Ashes series this November. Unfortunately (for Brits outside Oz) the tickets go onsale to Aussies with a local address first. Seems a bit unfair but hey, when in Rome... (p.s. Anybody interested, email me and I'll see what I can do).

Anyway, thats us. Catch ya next time.

No comments: